View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
DonNazarov

re: Best Website/Forums

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone of you knew or had any insight into the best place to buy/setup a forum and website for when we launch the project.

Any help would be much appreciated! Happy
Strych77
In-Game Lowest Rank 10

When it comes to creating websites, I'm hopeless. When it comes to forums, I usually use the simple phpbb. Takes 10 mins to set up, an hour to customize and runs usually quite stable. It's the best free forum out there in my opinion (though others may have different opinions).

Running a website, assuming we want our own *.com, will cost a few gold though. I think something like 70 euro initially and then like 45 euro a year upkeep.

Regards,

Jack
Zkag

I stumbled upon at what seemed a very promising solution a while back.

http://www.wowguilds.ca/

As far as I've read it looks like graphically it's top notch. They pretty much do all the work for you and only leave you with the most essential administrative tools. The down-side is, obviously, the price which starts at $9.88 a/month. (The more features you enable, the pricier it gets) But the features are cool.

But obviously a custom built website would be prefered, if we have anyone with expertise in that area. :>

Anyways, just my two cents. :3
Tarumi
In-Game Lowest Rank 10

Ive fiddled around using generic php packages like phpnuke to create portals and content management sites - these give you the guildomatic-style sites, front page, news, library, raid planners & dkp plugins etc - phpnuke in particular once uploaded and installed is very layman-friendly in terms of administration, certainly no more complex than adminning a phpbb forum for eg. Custom scripts are fairly easy to install too - obviously though youll need a domain/webhost, although if cost is a consideration it comes in a lot cheaper than a recurring subbed site.

Work is kinda nuts at the moment, but Id be happy to chip in in getting the site up and running when I have time, I just cant promise a huge amount of time on it atm - once its all set up and tweaked however, its pretty straightforward and can easily be edited by officers etc.

Ofc a site like Aeldor's takes any such hassle out Happy Have had a poke on wowguilds.ca in the past and agreed Ael, pretty kosher setup Happy

ps:- forgot to ask, do we happen to have any graphic designers in the ranks too? Funky banner/logos/backgrounds etc to spruce up the place Happy
Tarumi
In-Game Lowest Rank 10

Just touching base - might have a few days of (relatively!) light work coming up, so Id POSSIBLY have a WEE bit of time to get a generic phpnuke site setup so that the future powers-that-be in the guild can nosey around and see if its something theyd feel happy with, adminning etc?

Only thing Id need though is some webspace if anyone has any spare and ftp upload details (unfortunately all my stuff is crammed to overflowing with garbage) - could use a freebie host but ime theyre pretty gash.

Anyhoo, just throwing it out there, if youre not too worried about it at present thats fine by me, Ill go whack some golf balls in a river instead (Nick Faldo I aint!).
Niriji

Something I saw advertized on some forum a few months ago is Enjin. I however have no experience in setting up websites / forums unfortunately.

http://www.enjin.com/

~Niktuk
DonNazarov

Sorry Tarumi, literally only just saw this. To be honest, website at the moment isn't high priority at all - you go and enjoy the links!
Ardillia
In-Game Lowest Rank 10

If you are looking for a host with a domain and nothing else - http://www.iPage.com

If you are looking for a full featured Content Management System you could either set up something on a website thats hosted or you could pay for something like guild-o-matic etc. I would not recomend enjin however it has very limited support for automation. No Armory updates or anything even progress has to be input manually.

My 10 cents.

EDIT: - I finish work in 3 days before going to Ireland I'll have some free time. I always have a domain I ain't using from iPage I could set whatever you want up and test it out for you.
Ardillia
In-Game Lowest Rank 10

Just took a look at the wowguilds.ca site that is pretty damn impressive for all of around 7 quid a month.
WhelpSlayer

My uni course has me doing a fair amount of graphic design so I could probably come up with something if we needed it.
Airosi

Here is another option called wowstead. Good thing here is you can try the basics out and create a site for free and the upgrade to premium if you like it. Think they charge 7-8 euro / month for the premium.

http://www.wowstead.com/

Here is a example of a guild using premium:

http://excessivegaming.wowstead.com/

Last edited by Airosi on 2011/04/23 7:02; edited 1 time in total
Tarumi
In-Game Lowest Rank 10

DonNazarov wrote:
Sorry Tarumi, literally only just saw this. To be honest, website at the moment isn't high priority at all - you go and enjoy the links!

Peachy!
Ardillia
In-Game Lowest Rank 10

PanzarDragon wrote:
My uni course has me doing a fair amount of graphic design so I could probably come up with something if we needed it.

Well Panzar I'm pretty good at the coding side of things. If you want we could colaborate once I get to Ireland in 2-3 weeks time?

It would depend on if we don't find an eligable CMS Host. I mean to be honest for what you pay places like Wowstead, Guildlaunch, Guild-O-Matic, Wowguilds and the like offer a very competative service... Though it's not 100% custom its oftern the best value for money and they offer alot of General customisation.

Also alot of them will sell you vent servers at discount price with the packages.

Template wise I think wowguilds.ca is the best. Value for money probaly comes best from guild-o-matic or it did back in the day. They tend to offer very lucrative packages including vent and other admin hooojimabops.
WhelpSlayer

yeah sure man sounds interesting, my uni work should be done by then. Only thing is I've never done graphics for a website before so you'll have to guide me through it.
Niriji

Been thinking a bit about logo's etc. Something old I had lying around which started with an A as well Happy.

Forum Image

Like it, hate it,

~Niktuk

"You cannot judge me. I am justice itself! We were meant for more than this! To protect the innocent! But if our precious laws bind you all to inaction ... then I will no longer stand as your brother."
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANIMUS Forum Index -> General Chat/Spam All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: